Thursday 20 June 2013

How alarming!

At the crack of sparrows (5am), I heard the sound of an alarm going off near our property, the noise was not far away from our bedroom window and it set the hens and Mr Roodledoo all a cackle!

Eventually, since the alarm was not being tended to, I got out of bed and had a look out the window which overlooks the hen house, but couldn't see anything. I then looked out the bedroom window across the garden, to find a Guinea Fowl perched on the garden wall! It had escaped from the small holding across the road! I looked to see what it was up to and then realised that this Guinea was the culprit making the alarming noise! By about 6am I was concerned that perhaps more Guineas may have escaped their enclosure and had been toying as to whether I ought to go over and tell the owners of the small holding... I walked over to the small holding, the Guinea watching me as I walked past, looked to see if there was anyone up and about but there wasn't... pondering a little longer, I eventually came to the conclusion that, if I were the owner of the small holding and my Guineas were escaping their enclosure, I would want to know about it. Thus, in order to notify the small holder of the situation and stop further escapees from drifting into the village, I knocked on the front door and waited.

Eventually, a sleepy face opened the door, I told him what was up and he apologized profusely... he said I was not to worry, the guinea had probably got out last night and that it would find it's way back, again. (I do hope so! Poor thing!) He said that he was winding down the Guineas to make way for Turkeys and then asked me how my hens were and said that if I needed any further help in future, I could just give him a call. I had asked him to help me once,  last year, with a poorly hen, whom he said had had a fright which had given her a heart attack - they are very fragile birds, he said, probably a bird of pray had flown over and caused her to have a fright, happens often, he said. I thanked him for his kind offer and headed home, the Guinea still perched on the wall, I headed over to take a closer look but it flew away.

So, if you hear a strange alarm going off at the crack of sparrows, say a hearty 'Morning!' to Ms Guinea and then send her on her way home!


Alarming, Ms Guinea! ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.